Via WWD, reality television is the top product placement vehicle. Of the top 10 TV shows guilty of incessant product placement in 2006, nine of them are reality TV shows.
“How effective is product placement? Nielsen Media Research found that this form of advertising boosts brand recognition by 20 percent when combined with a commercial.”
1) American Idol, FOX: 4,086
“The judges sip their supersized Cokes, the contestants are driving around in Ford Mustangs, and the audience is text-messaging in its favorites of the week using Cingular cell phones. Despite the blatant use of product placement on the show, people just can't stay away.”
Is it any surprise that Coca Cola was the top brand being placed last year? I suspect they have Simon, Paula and Randy to thank.
2) The Amazing Race, CBS: 2,790
3) Extreme Makeover Home Edition, ABC: 2,701
4) The Biggest Loser, NBC: 2,405
5) America’s Next Top Model, UPN/CW: 2,309
6) Hell’s Kitchen, FOX: 1,909
7) The Apprentice, NBC: 1,831 For anyone that has watched this show, I find it surprising The Donald is only at number seven.
8) The King of Queens, CBS: 1,742
9) Rock Star: Supernova, CBS: 1,609
10) Big Brother, CBS: 1,591
Depressing? Well, evidently, product placements actually DECREASED in 2006. Product placements were down 20 percent to 120 hours of TV devoted just to product placement…NOT commercials.
How do you Tivo through that?